Comprehensive Standard 3.9.1: Student Rights
The institution publishes a clear and appropriate statement of student rights and responsibilities and disseminates the statement to the campus community.
The University of South Florida Sarasota-Manatee (USF Sarasota-Manatee) publishes a statement of student rights and responsibilities in USF System Regulation 6.0021 – Student Code of Conduct. The Code of Conduct is published in several locations: (1) on the General Counsel Website – Student Conduct Code, (2) on the USF Sarasota-Manatee Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities website – Student Code of Conduct, (3) in the Academic Catalog – Student Code of Conduct, and (4) in the Student Handbook – Student Code of Conduct as required by Florida Statute 1006.50 – Student Handbooks. Students are informed of their rights and responsibilities as a student at USF Sarasota-Manatee through references to the Student Code of Conduct in their Freshman Admission Packet and their Transfer Student Admission Packet.
Student Rights and Responsibilities at USF Sarasota-Manatee are listed below:
- The right to participate in self-governing student bodies which provide channels of communication and means for using democratic processes to solve problems.
- The constitutional rights of freedom of expression and assembly.
- The right of freedom to hear and participate in dialogue and to examine diverse ideas.
- The right to a learning environment free from harassment, discrimination, and violence.
- The right to due process in disciplinary procedures in accordance with the rules and procedures prescribed in the Student Code of Conduct.
- The responsibility of assuming the consequences of one’s actions.
- The responsibility for knowledge and observance of established University policies presented in official University publications.
- The responsibility that free discussion represents the scholarly nature of the learning community.
- The responsibility to insure that no student organization, constitution nor other organizational document includes discriminatory clauses.
- The responsibility to respect the rights and privacy of others.
The Student Code of Conduct encourages individual responsibility and promotes the incorporation of community standards for acceptable behavior. It clearly explains that students are responsible for compliance with both public laws and University rules and regulations (See Conduct Code – Chapter 2). It also provides Student Conduct Process and Proceedings for referrals and disposition of charges involving alleged violations of the code. USF Sarasota-Manatee’s Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities adheres to the Definitions and procedures outlined in the Code of Conduct. In conjunction with Student Judicial Services with the Division of Student Affairs on the USF campus in Tampa, USF Sarasota-Manatee’s Assistant Vice President for Student Success and Engagement, or her designee, oversees all referrals for alleged violations of the Student Code of Conduct at USF Sarasota-Manatee.
The General Counsel’s website and the Academic Catalog also contain regulations that refer to the Code of Conduct: USF System Reg. 3.027 – Academic Integrity of Students and USF System Regulation 3.025 – Disruption of the Academic Process. These are posted on the General Counsel website – Academic Integrity and Disruption, and the Catalog – Academic Integrity and Catalog – Disruption of the Academic Process).
SUPPORTING DOCUMENTATION AND EVIDENCE